Friday, October 29, 2010

Drink up its good for your lungs

After a particularly stressful week last night me and some of the LUST crew sat down to have some drinks, reflect on the amazing snow season and farewell Kat who is going to chase another one in Canada, lucky girl! To say I had a drink may have actually been an understatement, its no news to anyone who knows me that I love white wine and that although my love is strong I am unable to keep up with the drinking crew, and that’s ok …. I mean it really doesn’t bother me.

Last night I may have over indulged a little, to put it nicely. So to make myself feel better this morning I have taken 2 panadol and am in the process of drinking a lot of water while researching the health benefits of white wine…….it has to be good for something right?!
 Drinking wine appears to be good for the lungs, a University at Buffalo study has shown, and in this case, the primary credit goes to white wine rather than red.
Drinking wine recently and over a lifetime was associated with better lung function.
Although health benefits are many linked to red wine in moderation as it has been shown to be beneficial for the heart, but in this case the relationship was stronger for white wine and lung function.  

 Whats your drink of choice?
Analysis of participants' demographic information and alcohol consumption data revealed some interesting relationships:
-- Beer only drinkers were younger, predominately male, drank more daily and over their lifetimes, and were more likely to smoke than other participants
-- Liquor-only drinkers were heavier, based on body mass index, than others
-- The groups of wine only, liquor only and recent abstainers included more women than men
-- Those who drank wine only or various alcoholic beverages had the highest education level
-- Wine drinkers had the highest levels of protective antioxidants in their blood

No comments:

Post a Comment